Employer: Plymouth State University – Plymouth, NH
Apprentice Plumber Position & Program Overview:
Length of Apprenticeship: 4 years
The Physical Plant department is seeking a positive, customer service oriented individual to become part of the team. The schedule for this position is a 1st shift, working Monday – Friday 7:00 am – 3:30 pm. This is a full-time benefited position, with an hourly rate of pay of $18.00.
The Physical Plant department is responsible for the operations and maintenance, renovations and construction of all buildings, grounds and utilities of Plymouth State University. These services are provided to develop and maintain a functional, attractive and safe environment conducive to learning and to support the University’s tradition of excellence. The Physical Plant department has dedicated, professional staff trained in every principle trade required to provide these services and/or to oversee contracted services that the department does not directly provide.
The Apprentice Plumber will assist our Licensed Plumber while improving their own skills. Under the general supervision of the Licensed Plumber the Apprentice Plumber will help install, maintain and repair heating and plumbing systems. They will learn to use tools of the trade while assisting on both complex and smaller jobs across campus.
A successful candidate will be well organized, detail oriented, have good customer service skills and be willing to follow instructions. The apprentice will will be required to participate in related instruction in technical subjects related to the occupation. They will not be paid for hours spent attending related instruction classes. The term of the of the apprenticeship is 4 years with an On Job Learning (OJL) attainment of 8000 hours, supplemented by the minimum required 600 hours of related instruction. The apprentice will need to maintain these requirements to continue their employment at PSU.
- The apprentice will learn from licensed plumber the care and use as well as the preparation of tools, equipment, and material for plumbing and heating.
- The apprentice will learn from the licensed plumber the proper installation of drainage piping and fittings along with the importance of proper venting and installation.
- The apprentice will learn from the licensed plumber the installation and setting of single fixtures, pipe cutting, reaming, threading and flanging.
- The apprentice will learn from the licensed plumber how to install and maintain steam and hot water heating systems, hot and cold water distribution systems, high and low pressure boilers, water heater installation and the principles and installation of water pumps.
Acceptable Minimum Level of Education: HS or equivalent
Acceptable Minimum Years of Experience: None
Other Minimum Qualifications:
- Applicants must have reliable transportation to the job and related instruction.
- Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of this job, including heavy work with exposure to inclement weather conditions.
- Must be able to wear and use personal protective equipment as necessary.
Additional Job Information:
- Review of applications has begun and will continue until the position is filled or the search is otherwise closed at the University’s discretion.
- Contact information for three professional references that can speak to your work experience will be requested in the PSU application.
- Additionally, a pre-employment, post offer physical will be required of the successful candidate.
How and where to apply: N/A * FILLED *
The University System of New Hampshire is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action employer. The University System is committed to creating an environment that values and supports diversity and inclusiveness across our campus communities and encourages applications from qualified individuals who will help us achieve this mission. The University System prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or marital status, genetic information, and political orientation. Application by members of all underrepresented groups is encouraged. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the U.S.